Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)

upper portion of my left eye I experienced some bright flashes

A few days ago in the upper portion of my left eye I experienced some bright flashes of white light. It happened three or four times in a short period of time. Some time later I noticed a black/brown line in my sight that is a squiggly line. Kind of what you would imagine a vein to look like. Any idea what this is?

I am an ophthalmologist on this site. You have most probably had a posterior vitreous detachment. This is a normal ageing change in which the vitreous gel in the back of the eye liquifies and separates from the retina. As it separates from the retina it causes a pull which leads to flashes of light. Floaters also appear during this process. Black/brown ligh is the shrunken vitreous clump. Usually this goes uneventful but sometimes it may cause a retinal tear so it's important that you you see an ophthalmologist for a detailed eye examination. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.