A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Hi, My questions might sound kind of dumb but it is really

Customer Question

My questions might sound kind of dumb but it is really killing me. My cat today went into my bathroom and my toilet plunger was out. The plunger did not have any covering on it. yuck! So, if my cat had touched it and then came out and touched everything else and played with my little girls, what is the like hood of us getting infected with something? Like HIV? or other bacteria? Should I worry or just be careful next time?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

It's not likely that your cat would have been able to get any live viruses or bacteria from the plunger. I'm assuming the plunger was dry, which would mean any organisms that may be once been on it are dead. Even if the plunger had just been used, the cat would most likely clean its paws as soon as they became damp. So, again, the cat could not transmit anything by playing with the children or touching anything else in the house.

I don't want to provide more for you to worry about, but the cat touching the toilet plunger is no worse than the cat using a litter box, or even burying it's "business" outside. Cats are very finicky about their feet, and will keep them fairly clean.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your responce but my main consern is HIV my friend is HIV positive and used the plunger yesterday I know that feces is no risk but what if it cointains blood on it?

I have OCD and been afraid of HIV for 2 years know but I could not stop talking my my friend she has always been there for me.Wink
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 4 years ago.

When you opt out an expert, they are no longer able to respond to you. Even if the plunger had had blood on it, the blood would have dried and HIV virus does not survive on dry surfaces. The cat would also have cleaned itself well so there is no danger whatsoever to you or your children.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist