CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

What are the usual causes of dark or black seman

What are the usual causes of dark or black seman?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.Usually brown and black streaks in the semen is due to old blood. Blood in the semen is very common and is usually benign. It can be from an infection , a urological or prostate problem. If it continues, please see your Urologist for an examination to rule out any problems that may require medical treatment. I hope this informationis helpful to you , please let me know if I can help you further:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have no urinary track symptoms (i.e. blood, pain, flow restrictions) so what could cause blood in my seman, and what should be done next to check this out? Thanks.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
You may have a prostate irritation or infection, your urologist will take a urine sample to rule out urinary problems then he may want to use a scope to look inside to see if the prostate is normal. This is called a cystoscopy and is a very quick and painless procedure.