Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

does Kikkoman soy sauce contain MSG

does Kikkoman soy sauce contain MSG?

Thank you for using justanswer.com

I am here to assist you regarding your problem

please elaborate your problem so that your problem can be resolved soon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sensitive to MSG. Some soy sauce contains MSG. Does Kikkoman soy sauce contain MSG. I have been unable to find out. I think it does. j

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

First of all, I have to thank you for this question. It has been my understanding that Kikkoman soy sauce does not contain MSG, but now I suspect that it does. I spent some time searching for the site to show you the ingredients, but have not been able to locate this information, even from the Kikkoman site.

They only talk about how the soy sauce is "naturally fermented". Since it is not yet mandated that manufacturers list all sources of MSG on a label, (only that "monosodium glutamate" has been added) I would recommend that you just treat this product as if it has MSG. The manufacturing of soy sauce by natural fermentation produces free glutamates, which is the same as monosodium glutamate. So, though it has not been added, it is a natural consequence of making the sauce.

Anyway, there is more than half the daily recommended amount of sodium in 1 tablespoon. So, it is a product most people could do without (unfortunately). : )

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management