Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

Hi I took 2 tablets of adco-amoclav bd 1000mg yesterday but

Hi I took 2 tablets of adco-amoclav bd 1000mg yesterday but they were the last 2 i had of the antiobitoics. I have fluxocillin 500mg antibiotics left can I take these, will they cause a reaction to the 1st set of antio-biotics i took?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Who prescribed the antibiotics and when, also why were they prescribed?

Why did you take the co-amoxiclav yesterday?

What symptoms are you experiencing today?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the adco-amo clav db was prescribed 2 months ago when i had an inflamed throat or shoudl i say top of throat like i have now. i had 2 left over. the fluxocillin was precsribed a year ago when i had a wound that got infected so have a few left over.

i have razor like symptoms in the mouth and cough a lot. will the fluxocillin kill the bacteria and can i take it or will it react with the adco antiobiotic

Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

The first thing is that you should always finish a course so you should never have any left over as this increases the risk of resistance.

Secondly the vast majority of throat infections are actually viral so you should not start antibiotics until advised by a doctor in person. Flucloxacillin is typically used for staph infection such as skin infections, and is unlikely to be effective for a throat infection caused by strep bacteria. Also unless you have stored them safely, after a year there is a chance of deterioration.

I would not start the flucloxacillin. Do ensue that you are drinking plenty of water and use tylenol or panadol for pain relief.

If the throat is so painful that it is affecting your ability to drink, or your tonsils are enlarged then see your family doctor who can establish if this is bacterial or viral and prescribe accordingly.

I am sorry that I cannot recommend that you use the flucloxacillin but the risks outweigh the benefits in this case.