Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP

Im a 35-year-old male, and Ive been taking isotretinoin (Amnesteem,

I'm a 35-year-old male, and I've been taking isotretinoin (Amnesteem, 40mg bid) over the past six weeks. My triglycerides started at 101 and jumped to 259 at the four week mark. Is this typical? I seemed to have trouble getting a clear, definitive answer from my nurse practitioner. Incidentally, they just pulled me off of the med for at least a week because of muscle aches and severe diarrhea.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

This is a common side effect and that is why lipids are monitored closely on this drug.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you need to discuss this some more.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a level of triglyceride increase at which I should reconsider taking this medication?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

To be honest its your call - as a 35 year-old male the prospect of you actually coming to any harm from your TG level over a course of treatment is very low indeed.

Sounds though that you would be limited more by the GI and muscular side effects?

In answer to your specific question there is no particular level of TG that would be "OK" before restarting the medication - once you went back on it the levels would just start to climb again.

Dr Jef