Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

I am allergic to my dog, Daisy. May be here dander. as soon

I am allergic to my dog, Daisy. May be here dander. as soon she gets next to me, i begin a coughing -- a dry hacking cough. what over-the-counter drug can i take to prevent coughing?

Hi

All you can really get over the counter would be an antihistamine such as Benadryl - however this may not be adequate.

Dr jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
perhaps i should repharse my question to what remedies do you recommend or which health professional should i see?

Hi

Do you get short of breath or wheezy along with your cough?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

there aren't other symptoms

Thanks

I would certainly try the antihistamine to begin with.

If that fails ,keep taking it, but go to your PCP and ask if you can try an inhaled corticosteroid spay in addition.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you need to.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Forgive me if i didn't mention i using prescription flonase, which, i beleive contains dorticosteroid. Additionally, I also take zyrtec. these i take regularly for seasonal allergies.

However, i will try an an antihistamine. it that doed not work i'll go back to my pcp.

Hi

No need to change the Zirtek !

You are quite correct that Flonase contains a corticosteroid - but I would choose to add a corticosteroid inhaler - such as is used in asthma.

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

that type of inhaler is administered through the mouth, not naselly, right?

that would mean the corticostroid would go toward my throat directly to prevent the cough, rather than spraying my nasal passages and deminish the time the corticostroid might drain to my throat, rendering it ineffective, yes?

Hi

Yes - administered orally by inhalation - direct to the upper airway to hopefully prevent your cough.

Dr Jef