Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP

I have heard the admonition to surgeons If you have taken

I think I have heard the admonition to surgeons "If you have taken out only diseased appendices, you haven't taken out enough." The context is that if the physician is so afraid of taking out a healthy appendix unnecessarily, s/he will fail to take out some diseased appendices. Did anyone ever say that? If so, who? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

This is a well known surgical maxim but is not attributed to any particular surgeon I am afraid.

With modern scoring systems to predict who has a diseased appendix , with the advent of modern scanning as well as laparoscopy fewer and fewer healthy ones are being removed - so I think that particular statement is not just as true as it once was!

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you sure it can't be attributed to DeBakey or some other medical/surgical luminary?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

There have been hundreds of surgical luminaries over the years - it is easy to attribute a name to a new piece of surgical equipment or a new procedure but a phrase like this is just not possible.

I am sure that someone must have said it first but just who that was is not known!

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry, Dr. Jef. I would like to keep the question open in hopes that someone else may be able to identify the person who first said this. Maxine Rockoff
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 6 years ago.

Good luck with that!

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: My question was to ask the source of a quote. The expert who answered said that what I quoted is a well-known maxim for surgeons that has been around for a long time but that there is no person to whom it can be attributed. I'd like to know if another expert can name the person.