Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I have an odd white spot in the back of my throat where my

I have an odd white spot in the back of my throat where my tonsils used to be. I have had both my tonsils and adenoids removed and I don't really feel sick at all besides a very calm sore throat that has been stable for a week. It is not really a round spot like a tonsil stone but could it be strep? I don't have a fever or any other cold symptoms like coughing besides my slightly sore throat. What could it be? Should I go to a doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 4 years ago.

Hello Jacustomer,

I'm sorry to see you are unwell. Online of course, there is no way to say with certainty what anything is, all I can do is give my best guess based on what you wrote.

Strep throat generally has alot more pain associated with it than a mild sore throat, and there is usually more pus and redness than one white spot. However, having said that, that does NOT mean you cant have an unusual case of strep throat. It is very important to diagnose and treat strep throat because untreated strep throat can cause potential heart and kidney damage; the strep virus can travel to the valves of the heart and colonize those, and thats not a good thing.

This white dot you see can be anything from a bacterial infection (not all are strep caused) to a lesion or growth of some sort. Or it could even BE an unusual "tonsil stone" (even though you lack tonsils).

Your throat has been sore for a week, and you do have this white spot. Based on that, and the fact strep does need to be ruled out, I would be seen by your doctor.

I hope I was able to help,

Sincerely,

Susan

Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness