Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I have a sharp pain above my right ear. Comes an goes at night Is

I have a sharp pain above my right ear. Comes an goes at night
Is it signs of a stroke bob
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

There are a few things that could cause a pain in this area. One is muscular, and at times the skull muscles can be quite painful. To a certain degree this is what occurs with tension headaches.

There is another type of headache, what used to be termed 'vascular headaches' but are also known as migraine or cluster headaches. Part of the pain in this type of headache is caused by the relaxation of blood vessels (after being tense for a long period) and the blood suddenly flows in causing pressure and pain.)

It is also possible to have pain referred to this area from the ear or sinuses. Depending on where you are, this is something more common at this time of the year from allergies to pollen. The could occur as well if ear or sinus inflammation was related to an infectious process.

There is a rare possibility of a stroke causing pain, but usually there would be other symptoms.

Do you monitor your blood pressure, and especially have you checked your blood pressure when this has occurred?

Blood pressure when elevated can cause headaches as well, and can of course lead to strokes. That is one cause of strokes, other factors include high cholesterol, high blood sugar, and hypercoagulable blood.

Besides answering my question about blood pressure, and whether you have checked it regularly as well as at the time of the pain, do you have any other symptoms? Are you taking any mediations currently?

Also, can you rate this pain when it is occurring on a scale from 0 to 10 with 10 being the most severe pain you have every experienced or imagined

I'll look for your reply with the additional information.
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS