CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

peg tube and has been coughing and hiccuping for the last three days

Customer Question

My husband has a peg tube and has been coughing and hiccuping for the last three days-manly after his feedings. What could possibly be the problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. He may be experiencing esophageal reflux (GERD). GERD is the regurgitation of stomach acids. With GERD, the muscle at the bottom of the esophagus fails to constrict properly and permits the acid to back up in to the esophagus causing symptoms such as belching, coughing and hiccupping. I would recommend you report this to his Doctor who will likely order some medication that will help him. I hope this information helps you, please let me know if I can help you further:-)