Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

I have heard that too much B12 can keep the system energized

I have heard that too much B12 can keep the system energized to the point it can interfer with normal sleeping patterns. I am taking 100mg of B12 for immune system boost, and finding I am having trouble falling asleep, even with prescription sleep medications. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. It is my pleasure to help you today!

The recommended dose of B12 is 25-100mcg. B12 itself helps nerve function and red blood cell formation. It also stores in the body for a while and deficiency is rare.

It could indeed be keeping you awake. You could try skipping it for a few days to see if that is indeed the cause.

Other supplements such as vitamin c, garlic, acidophilus have proven to be more effective to strengthen the immune system.

If you are on any prescription medicines they could also be interfering with your sleep.

Avoid caffeine/chocolate as they are stimulants.

Stress and worries can also cause insomnia.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Wishes,