Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I hit my head (left brow bone) pretty hard approximately 2

I hit my head (left brow bone) pretty hard approximately 2 months ago. It did not break the skin; However, I was dizzy, so I went to the emergency room. They did a CT scan, which came back fine. Since this happened, I've been getting eye twitches in my left eye that last for several hours at a time. Is this normal or even related to the initial head injury? Is there something I can do to prevent these twitches from happening?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Eye twitches, or muscle "fasciculations" are common, and this is most likely not related to the injury 2 months ago. These tiny muscle twitches can sometimes be alleviated by drinking more water (a very mild, otherwise unnoticeable state of dehydration can cause this), and/or making sure you are getting plenty of dairy products in your diet (important source of calcium and magnesium, important for proper muscle function) and fruits and vegetables (sources of potassium, also important for proper muscle function).

You need 6 to 8 cups of water each day, in addition to your other beverages. You also should be getting 2 to 3 servings of non or low fat dairy products (milk, yogurt are best) and 5 to 6 servings of fruits and vegetables.