Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I have been extremely tired, dizzy, fatigue, moody, having

I have been extremely tired, dizzy, fatigue, moody, having extreme headaches.
I have lost a lot of weight...125 down to 108 within the last year. i just had a physical and all they found was that i was low in vitamin D.
I go in and out of these episodes the symptoms last 2-3 months and then i go a few weeks symptom free
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your concern.

If all physical causes have been ruled out (including thyroid, blood glucose metabolism, hormonal and steroidal fluctuations) you may want to consider whether these are physical manifestations of a chemical mood disorder. Although it would require a much more indepth history and evaluation to determine whether this is the case, these symptoms can be seen in depression and/or bipolar disorder. The brain is an organ of the body, and if the neurotransmitters are imbalanced and/or depleted it effects us physically. This has only been understood in the last decade or so, and there are medical professionals that are not always aware that these symptoms can improve with treatment with anti-seizure, mood stabilization, and antidepressants in some cases. There is still stigma that these diagnoses are "in the head" rather than caused by actual physical processes. Besides medication, treatment which can be helpful includes journaling the symptoms experienced daily to assist in determining if there are 'triggers' to the episodes such as menstrual periods, and to help in regulating the schedule (a regular sleep and waking schedule as well as increased sleep can in some cases improve the symptoms).

If you have questions or comments regarding my answer please respond back to this post so that I may assist you further or direct you to additional resources.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont know if it matters but I am also having symptoms equal to IBS (have not been diagnosed) and hair loss??
I was thinking depression... we are a quater into a 400 day Afghanistan deployment and I am keeping the home fires burning by running a buisness full time, raising 5 children and
taking care of the house. The thing that gets me is the periods of complete recovery...2-3 weeks when even my mair starts growing. My other thougth was that it is environmental.
Are there any tests my Dr could run to check for that. And if so which one should I asked for. (We have only access to care on post and with that we do not really have a stable DR... In my experience it works best to tell them what you need done in order to get things done :)
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

The IBS would only contribute to the physical symptoms you are having, if it is effecting your ability to absorb nutrients, and thus resulted in you not getting adequate nutrition. IBS itself can result from stress.

You mentioned being found low in vitamin D, and this is often because one is not getting adequate sunlight exposure. This can result in osteomalacia and other bone disorders. I just reviewed other manifestations of vitamin D deficiency and fatigue and musculoskeletal aches and pains are other symptoms that can result. So make sure that besides taking your vitamin D supplements, that you are getting at least 15 minutes of sunlight per day because this could be contributing to your fatigue. (Wearing sunscreen is still fine and probably good protection for your skin against sun damage).

Sometimes, even if you tested okay for vitamin B, taking a vitamin B supplement will add a bit of energy.

As far as checking for environmental causes of your symptoms, your first step would be to consider whether you have been at risk of exposure to any toxic substances. If you have worked around chemicals or have used rat poisoning etc., then you should ask to be tested for those specific things. Unless you know of something like this though, it is difficult to test for toxins, because there are so many poisons out there that one cannot just be tested for all of them - and besides that, if you were poisoned there would often be an abnormality of one type or another showing up in your routine lab values that would indicate this. If your labs have been normal, then it is less likely that you have been exposed to toxins or poisoning. You can read more about this here:

http://firstaid.webmd.com/poisoning_treatment_firstaid.htm

It does sound like you are under a very large amount of stress. I I do not believe I could do what you are doing. I hope you have some help. So truly, this in itself could be the source of your symptoms. Stress can make hair fall out as well as lead to lowered immunity. To get a better understanding of how stress can affect the body in this way, read this:

http://helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm

(This website which is a non profit website, has information on stress relief and many other helpful topics)

I hope you will be feeling better soon. Let me know if you have any questions about my answers.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 4/12/2010 at 6:59 PM EST
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS