Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am almost 14 weeks pregnant and at 12 weeks 5 days had a

I am almost 14 weeks pregnant and at 12 weeks 5 days had a scan with a combined screening test for Downs Syndrome. Yesterday, I received a call advising that we had an increased risk of 1% (1:110) of having a baby with downs syndrome.

Our scan was fine and the midwife has reassured us that there was nothing on there to suggest a problem. The fluid behind the babys neck was 2.01mm, the heart action was present, the nasal bone present so we were told at the time all was fine. I was told that risk is based on an average age of the mother being 31; as I will be 32 on my EDD (this is also my birthday) I understand this has pushed the risk up also?

Receiving this call, although a very small increased % was very distressing and has worried us. We do not want to have invasive diagnostic tests due to the complications that can arise.

Based on the above, are you able to offer any re-assurance to me please? am I right that there is a 99% chance our baby will be fine?

Greetings.

Risk is less than 1% as you can see in this chart;

http://www.cdadc.com/ds/down-syndrome-risk-factors.html

So there is more than 99% chance that your baby would be fine.

Please see this chart and resource also;

http://downsyndrome.about.com/od/diagnosingdownsyndrome/a/Matagechart.htm

Please do not worry at all as ultrasound is normal which further reinforces that everything is and would be normal.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your reply. Do you think I am safe to assume that the risk given to me is statistical and just means I have a small risk of having a baby with Downs Syndrome? I cannot believe how frightened this has made me.

Thank you again

You are very welcome.

Yes, the risk is very very small and this statistical figure should not bother you at all.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. Im sorry but can I ask one final question please? the fluid around my baby's neck measured 2.01mm and this has contributed to making me high risk. Is this measurement of 2.01mm within normal readings?

Thank you again

This is normal reading and does not put you in an additional risk.

Dr. Arun