Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

I havea 1.5 centimeter echogenic focus on my right kidney..

I havea 1.5 centimeter echogenic focus on my right kidney.. I had one that was 1 centimeter back in 05.. I got my other sonogram reports form 08 and 09 and my right kidney is fine... Can someone please help me understand this.. Scared to death that it is cancer??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 7 years ago.

This echogenic focus in your kidney can be a benign neoplasm like a Lipoma, that is an aggregation of fat, a haemorrhagic cyst or any other benign tumor.

You need to be strong and have a CT Scan of your Abdomen with Intravenous Contrast, that would be able to characterize this lesion better and tell you if this is a benign tumor or something that is growing aggressively.

Also, depending on the contrast excretion, the functioning of this kidney can be judged.

The CT would also give you an idea about local Lymph node involvement and possible spread to other tissues.

This is small in size and even if this is a cancerous tumor, it can be treated.

Please ask your doctor about having the CT, that would help better assessment and further treatment.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been having pain in upper back and bloating is that all related and swelling of feet and puffiness around eyes... Since it is so small in size could it still cause pain???

This can cause pain in the back area.

The swelling , bloating, puffiness can be a sign of reduced kidney function.

You need to have a Kidney Function test and a Urine function test to look for Protein in Urine and elevated Blood Urea and Serum Creatinine.

Please get these tests done soon.