Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I have had flu-like symptoms off and on for months. It will

Customer Question

I have had flu-like symptoms off and on for months. It will typically go 3 days on, 3 days off, but it is becoming more problematic on a daily basis. My head feels exactly like I have the flu - warm, light headed, low-grade headache, hot and cold, nauseous stomach but no flu. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 4 years ago.

Are you actually having a fever?

Have you been seen for this?

Do you have cough, sneezing?

Where is your head ache at?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am never running a fever. I am not coughing or sneezing and my headache is low grade behind my eyes.

I have been in to the doctor but when there is not fever they just blow me off.

By the way, I run 4 miles 2@times per week, do a 1 hour strength training class and a 1 hour high intensity aerobics class.

I am 5'4" and 130 and have always been very athletic. I have run 13 marathons, played competitive tennis and hockey...

I had a heart attack in 2004 and they have no idea why. My cholesterol at the time was 127 but my left anterior artery was 95% blocked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you there?

It sounds as if you may have impacted sinuses. When they are impacted they do not drain very much or can drain slowly causing nausea. You would need a CT of the head to tell for sure but your symptoms do match up to this. Long term antibiotics, nasal spray and decongestants are used for treatment, However, in certain cases the ENT may have to clean them out to relieve the sx.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have never had sinus problems and I have been battling this flu-like symptoms problem for a very long time. My husband has sinus issues and my headache isn't anything like what he gets when his are clogged. He also has never complained about feeling fluish when he is clogged up. My hands shake, my thoughts are scattered....

I am being called away for a little while. I will opt out and open your question up to other experts. They can see what we have discussed as well.

Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Are you taking any medications besides the Advil?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I take heart medication and Cymbalta for depression.

Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

There are a few possibilities as far as your symptoms.

Antidepressants can cause side effects--- headaches and the type of other symptoms you are describing. You may also be having some side effects of the heart medications.

Another possibility can be a change in your hormonal levels, that might be causing part of your symptoms. Perimenopause can cause all sorts of odd symptoms, including the ones you are describing.

Or, like Celeste said, you may have a chronic sinusitis going on. If your doctor won't listen to your complaints, perhaps you should see an ENT specialist to check this out.

My first suspect would be the Cymbalta. You might try a change in dose, or even a different antidepressant. Here is a link to a list of side effects for Cymbalta, and as you can see it does list most of your symptoms. It is common for people needing antidepressants to have to try several before one is found that has a minimal amount of side effects.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been on Cymbalta and all my medications since 2004 so I know that is not the case. I have had the per-menopause test and I have not started that either and again, this has been going on for a long time.....

You are answering just like all the other nurses and doctors have answered. You have not told me anything new.

I'm signing off, please don't charge me the $14....I was not satisfied with the answers.
Thanks for your trouble.
Expert:  Valarie replied 4 years ago.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. However, keep in mind you can develop side effects of a medication at any time, no matter how long you have been taking it.

I will opt out now, so another expert can help you if you like.