Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

if you take just one hit of pot will it show up in a urine

if you take just one hit of pot will it show up in a urine test?
greetings and welcome,

how frequently are you taking pot?
when is the urine test scheduled?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

haven't had any except one hit 4 days ago since 2 months.

Urine test tomorrow at 6 pm.

The pot or cannabis may be shown in urine or blood test till 3-5 days after the last dose.In chronic users it may be shown in urine or blood test upto 20 days after the last dose.The hair drug test can show upto 90 days after the last dose.

The gc/ms test should also be done in all suspected cases as it is very confirmatory test.

The first void sample is concentrated so you may discard the 1st and give the second sample.The drinking of a lot of water may dilute the drug concentration but it may also result in false urine test as too much diluted urine.

Since you are occasional taker of pot and already 4 days have past so the chances are less but it can not be completely ruled out.The type of test and cut off levels are also important in labelling the sample as positive.

Here is the link for more information

urine test

let me know if you need any more information

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I didn't actually smoke it , I just got a giant cloud of it in a car of people that were smoking it. I took a big breath of it but didn't take an actual "hit". I left immediately. So I reall yjust inhaled a giant puuf of second hand pot smoke. That is my concern.

Since you have not actually smokes but inhaled only a cloud and that too 4 days ago so the concentration of the drug in your body is likely to be very minimal.

As 4 days already passed so the drug test is unlikely to be positive.To be on safer side you may discard the firts voided early morning sample and give the second one which will be less concentrated.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Edited by Dr. RK on 4/5/2010 at 5:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so you are saying that one big breath of a clouded car full of pot smoke, would probably not show up past 50ng in a urine test?
It does depend on the type of test and cut off levels as well before labelling the sample as positive.

Since it has already been 4 days since you accidently inhaled some smoke so the chances are less for you to come as positive but can not be completely ruled out.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the cut off level is 50 ngs and it is a Federal urine test.
thank you clearing your doubt,

Since you had passive inhalation of cannabis so you are unlikley to achieve this cut off levels of 50ngs.

The passive inhalers like you usually have the cut off levels of 5 ngs and in rare cases upto 23 ngs.

The screeing test can detect cut off levels of 50 ngs while gc ms test detects upto 15 ngs to label the sample as positive.

Since you are passively smoked and also 4 days back so you are unlikely to get positive sample reports.

Here is the detailed information on cannabis test and passive inhalation

cannabis inhalation and cut off levels

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!