Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

heat stroke

Customer Question

heat stroke
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Do you know of someone who is having symptoms of heat stroke?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is in bed now, cooled almost shaking. said he would like to eat so I think he is doing better. Question whats next . no food, vision has come back.

Hi, thanks for the reply

Yes, he can eat as long as he feels like eating. I am wondering is he ever lost consciousness or how long he was exposed to high heat conditions? I'm trying to decipher whether or not he experienced heat exhaustion or heat stroke. This will determine what needs to be done next. Can you tell me what type of symptoms he experienced and what type of condition he was in and for how long - I will give you the answer after that. Thank you for your patience but I want to give you the correct and best answer I possibly can.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just a minute while I ask, He got weak and did not lose conciousness it was only a minute or two before he sat down and complained his vision in the right eye was blurry but its o.k now .Total time till now 30 min,

Ok, thanks. Sounds like he might have experienced some heat exhaustion. Treatment in cases of heat exhaustion is to have the person removed from the hot environment and into a cool/shady or air conditioned location, loosen the person's clothing or remove them, sponge the person with cool water and fan the person, offer plenty of cool liquids, and have them lie down with the feet elevated slightly. If he is feeling better now and all of his symptoms have resolved, he can go back to his normal activities and yes, he can begin eating. His blood pressure reading was good (122/70) and by him drinking cold water and lying down was good. Heat stroke is much more serious and would have included a body temp of over 104 F, loss of counsciousness, even seizures. If he begins having any other symptoms later on tonight since this episode, make sure you have him examined in the ER. Heat exhaustion usually resolves when the personn is removed from the precipitating heat and will fully recover without medical intervention (other than what I already stated-ie, cool water to drink, resting in a cool environment, etc).

Hope this helps!

It has been a pleasure helping you today. Please click "Accept" if our conversation has been helpful. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using and hope you will use the service again soon.