CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

my way back up i knocked my head against the metal part

i am 22 years old, and a female. about an hour and a half ago, i hit the top of my head on the hood above my stove. i was leaning over and on my way back up i knocked my head against the metal part. I didn't see stars, and didn't pass or black out. My head still hurts, and i am freaking out. I have heard horror stories about a mild bump to the head, and people dying because they felt fine and just blew it off. What should I do? do i need to rush to the ER?? i have a terrible anxiety problem, and just knowing that i hit my head on accident and could possibly have something go horribly wrong from it scares me so much
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Are you feeling dizziness/vertigo/
Is there nausea feeling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, but i have severe anxiety and panic disorder, so it is hard for me to tell sometimes what is real and what is not.

Also, i have NOT developed a bump
Sometimes, the actual impact of the head injury affects the part of the brain regulating inner ear activity, causing the brain to have difficulty interpreting the incoming information. If the information is processed incorrectly, various symptoms can occur. You need clinical examination by doctor at ER.If the potential for a serious injury to the brain exists, the doctor may order a CT scan. So I advice you to see your doctor.Till then apply ice.Use a light washcloth as a barrier and wrap the ice in it and apply it 20-30 minutes at a time and can be repeated about every 2-4 hours.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. I am a Psychiatric Nurse well trained in anxiety disorder and I understand completely how you are feeling. I am sorry this happened, but please know that it is almost impossible to cause a serious head injury by hitting your head on a stove hood. This is thin metal incapable of causing serious damage. The most you will have is a little bump. KNOW that you are fine. If I can help further, please let me know:-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your advice and help. it just freaks me out because i read all these things that say, "even if it's a minor bump on the head, seek immediate medical attention".

my husbands upset with me because he keeps telling me i'll be fine and i don't want to believe him (with my anxiety issues, i am in the ER so much, so we try to NOT go (when im freaking out about heart attacks and brain aneurysms) because i can't keep bothering these nice people with silly things, i know they are busy, it's just my fight or flight thinggy going off or whatever it's called), and i called my mom and she said as a kid, i hit my head a few times HARD and was alright.

I just want to be reassured that even though it felt like i bumped it hard, that it probably isn't going to cause brain swelling or bleeding.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
You skull is a very hard, thick bone... it takes a lot of impact with a lot of force to cause a brain injury. You could not generate enough force and impact hitting your head on a stove hood. Are you taking any medication for anxiety? Have you tried Cognitive behavioral therapy? This is a "talk" therpy that can help you termendously by helping you to think differently when things like this happen in your life. When you get scared like you did after you hit your head, it would be a good idea to ask yourself... what would my mother think if she hit HER head..or what would my husband think if he hit HIS head. You will know that they wouldn't think much of it at all and they would simply shrug it off... and rightly so. If you try to emulate their responses to these types of situations it will help you to gain control over the runaway thoughts that you have. The thoughts hurt more than any bump on the head ever will. I hope this helps... feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.