Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

I had very sweaty sex with my girlfriend for an hour and then

I had very sweaty sex with my girlfriend for an hour and then we stopped and realized that she had her period so there was a significant amount of blood. I used a condom. I cleaned up a bit but did not shower till the next day, midday. I was wearing shorts that were not fresh, without underwear, and was masturbating (rubbing myself) over the shorts before I took a shower. Three says later I noticed a bump on the top of my pubic area in the shower that I thought was a pimple. By the end of the day there were two more in my pubic area. This developed into blisters that eventually opened into sores. A week later they are scabbed over and healing. They were not very painful when they were open, just slightly uncomfortable, but the area was a bit red and felt slightly swollen underneath. Three more blisters developed in the area with one on the lower shaft of my penis. None of these really hurt much, and I had no other symptoms. Could this be something besides herpes, a kind of infection?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

It is very unlikely for your blisters to be anything else other then herpes. Although herpes are usually painful, they dont always have to be. There are really no other infections which will produce symptoms similar to what you have described.

To know for sure, it would be best to see your doctor as soon as possible while you still have a blister (before it scabs) so that a culture can be taken. Culture will confirm the kind of infection you have.

If indeed you had herpes, your symptoms may come back frequently or not again for several years, there is absolutely no way of predicting. However, if herpes is confirmed, you should have anti-viral medications on hand in case of future break outs.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you? Anything you would like me to clarify?

Julia

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it fair to say then, that it's pretty likely that I caught it from her? I had blood taken to test, but the sores are scabbed over. As I am now waiting for the test results, is there any other possibilities? I know you already answered this, but might it be an infection related to the blood and sweat and then abrasion to the area before showering?

I was thinking of writing you in my initial reply that there is no way of knowing if you caught this from her or if you had in your body prior and it was just being dormant (sleeping) and "woke up" just now.

However, even though there is no guarantee, this infection did come from her. I would suggest that she also gets tested (blood work).

The only other possibility that your symptoms could be is what called folliculitis, which is infection of the hair follicles (similar to acne on the face), however, the fact that you had one lesion on your shaft (where there are no hair follicles), kind of goes against folliculitis diagnosis.

I know that you probably dont want to hear that it's herpes but it is unlikely for it to be anything else.. I am sorry. Your symptoms are classic for herpes presentation (except for no significant pain). However, good news is this is not life-threatening and another outbreak may never happen again or can take years before happening. There is good treatment available for symptoms of active outbreaks (such as Valtrex).

Let me know what your test results show and encourage your girlfriend to get tested as well.

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Julia. It is actually on the VERY lower shaft where there are many hair follicles adjacent to it. I know I may be grasping, but until the test results come back I'd like to maintain some hope, since the symptoms and causes of folliculitus seem similar to what I did and I have very sensitive skin. When I get my results back next week I'll deal with herpes or no herpes, but till then you've given me some temporary peace of mind and I appreciate that. If I can request one more bit, could you describe folliculitus; causes, symptoms, duration etc. so I can get a better idea if maybe that is the situation. I really appreciate your feedback!

I am glad I am able to help you.

Folliculitis is basically infection in the hair follicles caused by a bacteria. It is similar to acne which people get on the face or chest. Folliculitis looks like pimples which would also scab and eventually go away (within a week or so). Applying antibiotics to them will help them heal faster.

Folliculitis happens when these hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing, sweat, and/or shaving.

Here is a link to what folliculitis looks like:
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/health/antibiotic_resistance/mrsa/picMRSA/folliculitis5.jpg

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~thabif/weeklyClinic082701/Images/09PseudoFollLesions.jpg

So, yes, it is possible that you caused yourself some irritation, friction and infection. If that's the case, it would be great as these are not contagious and are not considered sexually transmitted at all. Lets hope that folliculitis is the cause of your symptoms.

You dont have to click Accept again because you already paid :) I appreciate your accepts and bonuses.

Good luck to you and get back to me with your test results. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Julia

Edited by Julia Kizhner on 4/2/2010 at 3:13 AM EST