Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

redness..bottom part of my throat that is behind my tongue..feels sore

Can my dentist or doctor see the bottom part of the throat during an examination? For example, if I have a sore throat - would they be able to see if there were any redness or dysplasia there? When I look in a mirror I can't see the bottom part of my throat that is behind my tongue.....and that is the part that feels sore. And if the dentist does do this as part of an oral cancer exam - do they always check ALL parts of the oral cavity including that part of the throat every time?

Hi there

No, a Dentist cannot visualize the bottom part of the throat. The area you are describing is more in the top of the esophagus area. The have a great view of the back of your throat (tonsil area) but not the part you are describing. Chronic sore throats in this area are often times caused by acid reflux.

It has been a pleasure helping you today. Please click "Accept" if our conversation has been helpful. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using JustAnswer.com and hope you will use the service again soon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I think Im confusing myself :( So the area where someone normally feels a sore throat - the dentist wouldn't be able to see that? ( I saw a video about oral cancer from hpv and they said to get checked for oral cancer by the dentist - but it just seemed to me the area you normally get a sore throat is not visable - is that correct?)

Hi there

No, the area that you feel when you swallow is not visable. Sometimes, viruses and bacteria will cause the tonsils to become red, swollen, and irritated and the whole back part of the throat to become red and irritated, but what you feel when you swallow is not visable.