Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My grandaughter 2 1/2 years old has mild cerebral palsy. She

My grandaughter 2 1/2 years old has mild cerebral palsy. She is bright , intelligent and is taking some therapy to correct the hemi parisis that the stroke caused. She walks, talks and with all the testing her intellegnce is above average for her age. Her occu[pational therapist noticed that sometimes she (for a few seconds) seems to pause or day dream and has noted that this is something to watch,. SHe has never had any seizures of any type and now this woman has talked my son into testing my granddaugter by inducing a siezure. I am appalled and and scared that this might start something in her brain. SHe is so beautiful and intelligent and the doctors at Denver Children has been up on everything, Are my worries justified ...To me if is isn;t broke don't fix it. I have a week to try to get some answers before my son and daughter in alw have this done. PLEASE HELP......
You granddaughter may in fact be having a specific type of seizures called absence seizures (Petit Mal).

These seizures are often described as "daydreaming" or "staring" spells that last a few seconds. They are NOT associated with the generalized shaking that most individuals associate with seizures.
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about/types/types/index.cfm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000696.htm

While I am not exactly certain how/why they are going to induce a seizure, I do believe that having your granddaughter evaluated by a pediatric neurologist is VERY appropriate.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.....what my concern is that ifthey induce a seizure could it start regular seizures. In any case I do realize that there was a stroke during delivery and that there was trauma. I just do not want them to worsen by these tests. Do these abscence seizures ever progress or are they common with this type of injury.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I also want to tell you that she has been seeing a neurologist at Denver's Children.

First of all, you should understand that a seizure does not by itself cause brain damage, or lead to further seizures.

While some individuals who have petit mal seizure may at some time also develop grand mal seizures (shaking), most do not.

I am VERY glad to hear that she has been evaluated by a neurologist. That is what she needs. I would relax, and understand that she is getting the appropriate evaluations.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you......You have been of great help. God Bless.