Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

my daughter has not had a good bowell movement for six months.

my daughter has not had a good bowell movement for six months. today she went in for a colonascopy; but they could not do it as the liquid she drank in advance did not work, and she was still stopped up. Any suggestions? She is 40 and otherwise quite healthy.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the question. The best thing for her to do is undergo an enema (Dr or office administered) since the liquid prep did not work. However, this regimen is often given prior to a colonoscopy...you can take a look and see if it looks like the one she was given. If not, she can try this one and see if she has better luck. Sometimes, just drinking the liquid alone is not enough.

At 3 P.M. take 2 Bisacodyl tablets.

At 5 P.M. mix the 238 gm bottle of Miralax in 64 oz. of liquid (Gatorade or Crystal light),

shake or stir until it is dissolved. (You can do this up to 24 hours in advance).

You will need to drink 8 oz. of the mix every 15 minutes until it is gone.

At 8 P.M. take the last 2 Bisacodyl tablets, and take a double dose of your gas relief

medication.

Continue to drink clear liquids the rest of the evening. Use Vaseline or A & D ointment

around the rectum as needed to prevent irritation.

Again, if this regimen does not work either, she will need an enema and might even need a Dr administered enema as a last resort.

It has been a pleasure helping you today. Please click "Accept" if our conversation has been helpful. If I can help you further, please reply. If not, thank you for using JustAnswer.com and hope you will use the service again soon.

Edited by Nurse Milli on 4/2/2010 at 1:15 AM EST
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.