Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

Hello Doctor, My partner & I are being accused of harming

Customer Question

Hello Doctor,
My partner & I are being accused of harming our 2 month old baby who has had fractures and unusual bruising. We think he may have brittle bone disease. I am 32 years old and had surgery to correct curvature of the spine (scoliosis) when I was 16. Is it possible that I could have a very mild form or be a carrier of OI? We are on the point of losing our baby, and so far requests for tests have been denied. Would be grateful for any help...
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

It is possible that this disorder, called "osteogenesis imperfecta" can be inherited from a parent with a very mild case of OI. Also, 25% of children with OI are born to parents that have no history of the disorder at all.

Here is a link to more information: Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation This link takes you directly to the site's page about "child abuse allegations".

The diagnosis is made by doing a DNA test, so you will need to convince your child's doctor to do this. Perhaps with information from this site, you will know how to direct your health care providers.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I would like to know if the fact that I had scoliosis could be a sign that I could have passed something onto my baby to give him OI?
Expert:  Valarie replied 6 years ago.

If you will look at the link I gave you, you will see that there are several types of this disorder. See this page (within the link I gave you): Child Abuse or Osteogenesis Imperfecta, it will show you the clinical features of each type. Type I and Type III list "spinal curvature" as a symptom. It does not list scoliosis, however you may have been misdiagnosed. It might be helpful to look at the other symptoms to see if any of them fit you.

Edited by Valarie on 4/2/2010 at 1:17 AM EST