Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Now my job is requesting proof that he can legally be on my insurance

My daughter was 15 when she had a baby. He's been on my health insurance since. Now my job is requesting proof that he can legally be on my insurance. No legal papers are in place. how can I prove?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
It depends on whether your insurance is requiring you to prove whether he is a dependent, whether you are the guardian, or whether you have adopted the baby. Different insurance companies will vary in what they require. You may just need to show income tax records, or you may need more documentation showing that you are the guardian or legally have adopted the baby. You should be able to call your insurance policy administrator and ask them exactly what they require.

If you have questions regarding this further, please reply to this post so that I may assist you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dependent, how can one show guardianship?
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for waiting. I was unable to reply because the category was changed momentarily.

To show that you granddaughter is dependent, most likely all that will be required is that you show your income tax returns where you filed her as dependent. But they will tell you specifically when you ask them (your insurance administrator)

If guardianship is required, you will need to file for guardianship. Likely your daughter should agree and state so in the paperwork to make it less complex. There will be a hearing that you will attend once the paperwork is processed. It may be difficult for your daughter to regain guardianship later, unless you agree to this, so you may want to keep this in mind to be fair to your daughter when explaining it and make it clear to her that you are doing this now simply so that the baby can get insurance coverage. Most state courts have a self help section where you can get the paperwork you need to do this. For example, here is the State of California web page to assist with this: