Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

i have beeen having severe abdominal pain for the past few

i have beeen having severe abdominal pain for the past few days and have blood around my cervix. I am worried sick and am waiting to see a gynaecologist. In the meantime I have been prescribed some antibiotics Metronidazole and Doxycycline. I am 55 years old and am also on a combined HRT patch. Please could you tell me what this might be. I also had a urine test today which was clear just small traces of blood which was expected as I have been spotting on and off for about 8 weeks. The pains are very low down and a feeling of pressure and bloatedness is there. I do not have any other pain on either side and no temperature and do not feel nauseous.

Thank you for writing to JustAnswer Health with your question.

That the doctor already prescribed you antibiotics indicates likely that there is an infection. Infections can linger and fester for many years and not be discovered until there is significant discomfort. This can include sexually transmitted diseases, and is the most common cause of infections with abdominal pain, called pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).

Other causes include: dryness (making one more prone to trauma from sex, tampons or IUDs for example); an inherited bleeding disorder or being on anticoagulant medication (more likely if blood found more frequently than once), polyps, endometriosis, endometrial hyperplasia, and uterine cancer.

With the symptoms you have described so far, infection seems most likely.

If you have further questions related to your question and my answer, please reply to this post so that I may assist you further.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Susan

Thank you for your reply. I am absolutely positive that this is not a sexually transmitted disease, I have been with my partner for 3 years and just seems very coincidental that since i have been on HRT and by the way i have not had a hysterectomy and so am on Evorel sequi patches. Could it be to do with the oestrogen I am making as I was getting sporadic periods before I went on HRT which was about 18 months ago. I am a bit concerned as my urine test today showed no infection/

It is possible that the hormones have increased uterine growth, causing or increasing endometrial hyperplasia or fibroid tissues. Especially endometriosis is said to be quite painful.

Is your follow up visit scheduled pretty quickly? I can appreciate that it would not be enjoyable to sit around and wait for very long to find out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well when I went to my doctor today they had already faxed a letter off on Tuesday to the hospital through the fast track service and I have been told that I should be seen within two weeks. I am just waiting for a letter from the hospital. I have been told that I would possibly have a coloscopy. I have been prescribed the antibiotics for 14 days.
I think you may mean a colposcopy. Is that is ordered when the cervix appears visibly abnormal to the clinician performing the Pap smear. The purpose of the colposcopy is to determine what is causing the abnormal looking cervix or the abnormal Pap smear so that appropriate treatment can be given.
I meant to add, but got cut off, that some abnormal tissue may have been seen or that they have chosen to do this study just because the cervix appeared irritated or due to the blood found. If you would like information about colposcopy or anything else, please let me know. Thank you.