Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS

protruding vein in the right leg only sometimes with intermittent

protruding vein in the right leg only sometimes with intermittent pain that seems to be in the knee area and calf. an aching feeling seems to be continual I have gone to the doctor and they had an ultrasound done no bakers cyst or blood clot what else could be going on here. what is it like if you are getting varicose veins? How do they progress?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 6 years ago.

Is there any darkening of the skin at the ankle?

Any swelling of the leg?

Smoking or alcohol?

Any medications ?

any other illness?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no darkening of skin or swelling. I have never smoked or do not drink. I am not on any current medications or have any known illnesses.
Hello ,

Thanks for the answers.

Diated vein intermittenrtly can be an early stage of varicose veins.Here the valves of the veins are damaged and blood vessels dilate because of collection of the blood.So when we are standing the venous system gets engorged causing it to protrude.

Another possibilty is clot in the leg veins .That also have to ruled out.

I would advise you to see your doctor and order for a doppler study of the leg which will rule out varicose veins.

For the while keep the affected leg up elevated above the heart level.Continue the pain killers.

I hope this helps you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks I pray it isnt varicose veins. Is there anything you can do to prevent them from coming?