Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

I am a 75 years old female with Genu Valgum condition. I

I am a 75 years old female with "Genu Valgum" condition. I think I have this problem since childhood but I wasn't aware of it until later in life. I'm not sure if it's gotten worse in the last few years. I can walk alright, except that I get tired easily and my knees hurt most of the time (I had a knee replacement about 10 years ago on my right leg, which seems to stick out of allignment). I am very self conscious about my legs, so now I only wear pants or long dresses. My main concern is that I need to walk as an exercise, but I'm afraid my problem might get worse. Sometimes I fear my leg will give out or break. Is my fear justified?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using just answer.

Your concern about knee are valid. One of the complication of knee replacement is instibility development that can cause abnormal allignment.Which may have happen in your case.
My advice is that you should take an urgent appointment to your orthopedic surgeon. So that he can evaluate you physically. Exercise should be limited until he seen you in person. Some time a surgery may again require to realign the knee.

I hope I answer your question and it is informative for you. If you have anyother query you are most well come.Thanks

Edited by Dr.Israr on 4/1/2010 at 6:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Because of my age and my financial situation, another surgery would be out of the question for me. I just want to know if I should give up walking as an exercise. Please tell me yes or no.

(If I need to pay extra for this second answer, just disregard it).

Thank you,

Adelina Almanza

Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 4 years ago.

Yes you should continue to walk as exercise. I was just saying you should go for physical examination by an orthopedic. So that he could look for your current problem in person.

Regarding surgery I would only say that it is only an option. Never mean it is indicated in your age and it is must for you.

There is no need to pay extra at all for this answer.

If you have any other query you can ask freely whenever you come online. I will definately answer. Thanks
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS