CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I finished a 6 day, decreasing dose, of Prednisone for a case

I finished a 6 day, decreasing dose, of Prednisone for a case of poison ivy, on Sunday evening. 3.5 days have now passed and I am still itching from what looks like a rash due to the Prednisone. This "other" rash started slowly and grew from about day 3 to 4 while taking the drug. Should I be concerned?? I don't have any scary trouble like breathing problems, but I do have some mild swelling under my eyes, that seems to be a new development.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. The eye puffiness is most likely due to the water retention that prednisone may cause, but a rash is considered to be an allergic do let your Doctor know about this. I hope this information helps you... please let me kn ow if I Can help you further:-)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I too agree that it appears to be an allergic reaction. Since the eye puffiness just started today, 3.5 days after I took the last Prednisone, I just wanted to see if there was "really" anything that could be done? I had never taken Prednisone before, and will be sure to NOT take it again. I just needed to know if there is actually anything that a doctor can do about the rash? I did not feel it made sense to make another dr. appt to just be told it would simply take time for the drug to get out of my system.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.

This rash really should self resolve in a few days.. in the mean time you can apply benadryl lotion or spray to areas that may be itching, I know you already said you tried benadryl, but the topical form will help with itching immediately. Cool compresses to your eye area will help decrease swelling.