Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180
Health

diet pill..phentermine 37.5mg, but i have a benign heart murmur

i want to start on... Show More
i want to start on a diet pill fo rweight loss called "phentermine 37.5mg", but i have a benign heart murmur. will the pills take an effect on my heart
Category: Health
replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

Phentermine is contraindicated for use in those with heart disease. This means that you should not take it. The only other option is to see your cardiologist who could determine specifically with your heart murmur and over all health characteristics whether or not an exception could be made in your case. But is is recommended that you do not take this medication unless you specifically receive permission after receiving an evaluation from your cardiologist.

If you have questions regarding my answer, please reply to this post so that I may assist you further.
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
even thou my murmur is benign. the cardiologist said my murmur shouldnt stop me from anything. but i never got to talking about pills.
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN) replied 6 years ago.
It is important that you discuss specifically this medication with your cardiologist. There can be issues with your heart rate and a murmur when taking phentermine. The doctor was being encouraging towards you and not considering a stimulant medication with known cardiac dangers in his answer. You can always try calling the office and at least asking to have the secretary or nurse relay the question to your doctor, if you are trying to save going in for a visit. Some doctors will answer this type of question without you going in to see them, but a doctor will only know the answer to this type of question if they have evaluated you and your murmur in particular .