Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hello, Ive had x-ray, blood tests, MRI, abdominal, toraxic

Hello, I've had x-ray, blood tests, MRI, abdominal, toraxic and pelvic CAT scans, bone scintigraphy and biopsy of my right ilium. I'm waiting for the bone scintigraphy, blood tests and biopsy, but the MRI showed a lesion of approximately 8cm in diameter in my right iliac bone. Abdominal and pelvic CAT were ok, with no signs of lesions, but toraxic showed something "vague and probably irrelevant" (allthough the doctor said that it was probably better to run another test because of my condition). I know that no one can say anything before the biopsy but can you tell me that this is almost for sure osteosarcoma or can it be a form of benign tumor? And can that something "vague and probably irrelevant" things in the toraxic CAT be a result of being a smoker, having bronchopneumonia when I was a child or worked several months next to a person with tuberculosis some 10 years ago? Thank you very much. And I really wish that you could say something more than "wait for the biopsy" :-)
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

Osteogenic sarcoma is highly unusual to affect the flat bones (thoracic spine and iliac bone). With your history of taking care of tuberculosis patient, your thoracic spine lesion can be tubercular affection (called as Pott's spine). Pott's spine is easily treatable disease with the medications.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you doctor, but I'm pretty sure the doctors that are following my case are focused ont he 8cm lesion im my right ilium. That's where they performed the biopsy and they ordered CAT scans to see if this (if it is) tumor is spread to other parts of the body. So, what I wanted to know is if there's any other benign tumor that can really look like osteosarcoma. Thank you.

I am afraid, there are no benign bone tumors mimicking the osteosarcoma.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun