Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Im having an inguinal hernia surgery tomorrow (open - mesh,

I'm having an inguinal hernia surgery tomorrow (open - mesh, not laparoscopic). The surgeon is well respected and I believe has performed thousands of them. He told me that he will be placing a large patch and about 25 sutures to anchor it in place, and that I couldn't really tear or rip it - that the pain was a somewhat independent thing - in 4 weeks I could do anything (actually, way before that). My question: Can I overexert myself after surgery, meaning, things might be painful, but it really has no effect on the actual suturing/anchoring?
Is the healing/growing of the tissue into the mesh interstices really what's painful, but has no real practical effect on the strength of the hernia repair?
[email protected]
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

For six weeks, one should not exert after the mesh repair. The pain is one of the reason, but the tissue healing too is affected, if one over exerts. Any surgery entails cutting of the various layers of the tissues, thus weakening of those tissue. All of them need adequate time to heal and gather strength, before over exertion is allowed. So growing of the tissue into the mesh interstices will be affected and delayed if one over exerts in the initial period. The other reason of avoiding over exertion is chance of leakage of fluid or blood in the tissues due to exertion, which too can hamper the healing.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 4/1/2010 at 1:15 PM EST