Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

fertility..history;congenital dermoid cyst removed from my rt ovary

Customer Question

worried about my fertility.my history;congenital dermoid cyst removed from my rt ovary and my rt. ovary is significantly smaller now.I had a premature rupture of membranes at 26 weeks gestation.he's 3 yrs old now.I've been trying to concieve again since last April 2009. I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks and a D & C in early Sept of last year. Then early Dec., I had what my GYN called a chemical pregnancy.I've been using over the counter ovulation kits with frequent intercourse around my fertile time. My menstrual cycle has always been irreg.; anywhere from 30 to 42 days long when off the pill.My periods have become very scant-Just brown spotting for a few days only and maybe one day of heavy bleeding.Last period Was only 2 days with the 1 day of heavy bleeding.I'm esp. worried about this menses change maybe bein' a symptom meaning change in my hormones that may be related to my miscarriages and trouble gettin pregnant.should i see a fertility specialist for recurrent miscarriage?Worried!
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

The first thing is that with an irregular cycle of 30-42 days then you may not be ovulating. The ovulation predictor kits assume a regular cycle of 24-32 days. In addition the light bleeding suggests that your uterine lining is either not thickening up during the cycle or is not being adequately shed at menstruation.

Owing to the irregular cycle, I would suggest that your see a gynecologist or fertility expert so that you can have some blood tests at day 3 and 21 of your cycle. This will show if your hormone levels are in the right level at the appropriate times of the month. You may need additional help to ovulate.

Many women do miscarry at some point when trying for pregnancy, if you had miscarried three times then we would recommend additional testing for some syndromes such as antiphospholipid syndrome which is related to recurrent miscarriage however I feel that your problem is more related to ovulation issues than auto antibodies.