Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

i am using finepecia since 10days for my hair loss.i stopped

Customer Question

i am using finepecia since 10days for my hair loss.i stopped as i am experiencing side effects such as decrease in sexual desire,can you tell me how to overcone problem.will it affect my life
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

It usually takes about 7 days (but can be up to 2 weeks) for the side effects of the medication to resolve.
The side effects are not permanent by any means.
They will go away. I am sure it is causing you some anxiety, which can also cause some problems with erections.
But, be assured that the erectile dysfunction and loss of libido that is seen with finpecia is not permanent.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Edited by Dr. Abby on 4/1/2010 at 10:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it sure it wont effect my life.smetimes i feel nothing below my waist level.i stoped medicine 3days before.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I am sure.
It has not been long enough for the medication to completely leave your body.
The finpecia affects testosterone and DHEA levels, which affect erections and libido. You are having a very common reaction. It takes at LEAST seven days for the levels to return back to normal.

Try not to worry. I know it is very hard not to. But it will return to normal.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
before smetimes when i have sex with my wife my outerskin of libido is more than my size .is it common for all.i feel i need more energy.any suggestion?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Are you saying that you have excess foreskin on your penis?
And that you do not have strong erections?
Before you started the finpecia?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have excess foreskin on penis.and my size is also big.its head is little covered by outerskin.i feel i need more energy for erection.its before finepecia few months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
If you have excess skin, you may want to consider seeing a urologist (if it bothers you).
If you were having problems with erections before starting the finpecia, a urologist would be the right person to consult with regarding this as well.

Most often, in younger men, there is not an underlying medical problem causing problems with erections. However, the urologist should do a testicular exam, check your hormone levels, make sure you have normal blood supply and do not have diabetes or any other underlying reason for decreased energy.

If all is normal, then most likely it is stress/anxiety/psychological issues that may be contributing to the problem.

Here is some information for you to read:

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/impotence/

Dr Abby