Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

My husbands creatin level is 21 - what does that mean and would

My husbands creatin level is 21 - what does that mean and would figure is a normal range? Had a partial nephrectomy and left with a hernia, muscles and blood and fluid all from the incision site.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for his sufferings.

I need to know some points regarding your query so that I can answer better.

What is the reference range of the laboratory?

What was the unit used? mg or micromol?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Our family physician told me the level was 2.1. I assumed she meant 21 because when my husband was in the hospital they referred to his creatin level as 29, etc. Our doctor told him that his level was low and should be checked in a couple of months. I told my husband he needs to get back to his kidney surgeon and let him know that the kidney function is low. How low is too low and can't this cause a delay for his surgical repair on April 23 if the level is too low?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

The normal creatinine level is considered to be normal as 0.6 -1.2 mg/dl. & in micromols it is 60-110/l

In those with one kidney it can be a bit higher.

Low level of creatinine can be seen in elderly, reduced muscle mass, bed ridden persons, low protein intake, long standing illness etc.

I feel he should consult his kidney specialist for a review.

Further testing like creatinine clearance test can be considered if his specialist thinks to assess his kidney function.

I hope this information helps.

Happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience