Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I have numbness of both arms and legs below the elbows and

I have numbness of both arms and legs below the elbows and knees when I lie down to sleep. This has been ongoing for 2 years but is getting worse. Once I have been out of bed for about 30 minutes, the numbness of is not as severe, although still present. Any ideas?Without Neurontin, I have tremors of both hands - this has been going on for 6 years. My limbs are extremely weak. Diagnozed years ago (1992) with Fibromyalgia.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

When were you last evaluated by a doctor?

Have you had any scans or x-rays in the last year?

Are your hands and feet affected?

What parts of the hands?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My family physician is referring me to a neurologist. I haven't had any scans or xrays in the last year and my hands and feet are most definitely affected. It is worse on my right hand and its the entire hand including all fingers.
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. A neurologist is definitely the doctor to see. You need to explore whether this is a pattern of numbness in a 'glove and stocking ' distribution that may be caused by a systemic problem such as diabetes, vitamin deficiency or hypothyroidism or whether the distribution is affecting specific nerves and is due to compression of the nerves at the level of the neck and lower back.

You will need a full examination, some blood tests and then either some scans of the back or some nerve conduction studies of the arms and legs.

Depending on the underlying cause will affect what treatment options are available. However as this improves when you stand then that sound like there should be room for improvement with treatment.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I already have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (10 yrs ago) and tested for diabetis within the last 6 months. I jst can't understand why when I lay down, all my limbs go numb. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

If the limbs are going numb when lying down then this suggests either a circulation problem or manual compression of the nerves at the neck and lower back feeding the limbs however the pattern of numbness does not quite match so you need a couple of neurological tests to establish exactly the pattern of the numbness.