Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

Lately I have been feeling strange sensations within my head

Lately I have been feeling strange sensations within my head - not quite a dizzy feeling, but more like a wave from one area to another that effects my vision. I have been feeling a little more fatigued than normal, and most disconcerting is that I am getting my words mixed up and back to front both when speaking and writing. I find it hard to concentrate on simple things like where i parked the car, phone numbers that are normally at the forefront of my mind. I also feel a bit heavy in the body, like physical things are just more tiring to achieve.
I am otherwise a healthy, 39 year old female of 178cm and 62kg. I have four children, am married, work part time and eat a healthy diet of mostly fresh foods, although not alot of red meat.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Hello, how is the rest of your health?

What are your periods like regarding heaviness and duration?

Have you had any check ups at your doctor recently?

How are you sleeping at the moment?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sleeping heavily, but not feeling like I have. Periods are pretty average - last 5 days, 2 days heavier, then quite light. Last period (ended few days ago) had brown discharge for few days after which is abnormal for me. No check ups with doctor other than papsmear a couple of months ago.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information. The first thing is to rule out a physical cause of your symptoms. You should see your doctor to arrange blood tests to rule out anemia and a problem with your thyroid function as both of these problems cause the kind of symptoms that you are experiencing and both are relatively easy to treat with medication.

I would also suggest that he has a chat with you to see whether life is stressful and whether you are coping as that can cause problems with sleep, concentration and fatigue.

Finally, I would also like him to explore the vision, and see whether you have a physical cause for problems with your vision, and also check your blood pressure to see whether this is low.

So your next step is to arrange a visit with your family doctor who can arrange all the basic tests and take things from there.