Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

cause for my pitting edema on my shins and ankles..blood test..abdomen

I have had many tests in the last 2 months to try to find the cause for my pitting edema on my shins and ankles. All tests have come back normal with the exception of a blood test for alkaline phosphatase being somewhat high (I was not told how high). Also, an ultrasound of my abdomen showed an angiomyopiloma on my right kidney. My doctor says it is small and left me with the decision to wait and do a follow up in 6 months or he could refer me to a nephrologist. I opted for the follow up in 6 months. I have tried to research angiomyopilomas but have not had much luck. I am looking for advice on whether to go ahead and see a nephrologist or if waiting is the best option.
For reference, the tests I have had for the edema are: TSH (3.3), 24 hour urinalysis, venous doppler, chest xray, abdominal ultrasound. I am a 35 yr old female currently on no medication. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroiditis approx 1 year ago. Otherwise, no other health issues. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. As the preliminary investigations did not find any clue it can be due to some other factors like low protein which may need to be excluded. The other cause can be idiopathic edema, where no cause is found. It is commonly seen in female. It is more common on standing, decreases when lying down. As it is going on , it will be prudent to get a consultation with a nephrologist for thorough investigations to get the precise diagnosis and intervention if necessary.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.