Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I have swollen eyelids off and on for a year now. They are

I have swollen eyelids off and on for a year now. They are also very very red and slightly wrinkly. I have steriod cream of 1% but that doesnt seem to work and have been on antiobitics for 2 months and an antbitoic cream as well. For the last month both of my eyelids are very swollen and droopy.
Frustrated at what it could be.
I have changed all skin care products and shampoos etc. Have not gone to an eye specialist yet just Gps
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Could you please tell me if you have any eye tearing, eye itching or redness on the white part of your eye? Any changes in vision?

Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No I havent had any of these

Thank you for your reply.

It is possible that your symptoms are due to some allergies to certain environmental factors (dust, mold, pollen, etc). Because these irritants are not present all the time, your symptoms of swelling can come and go as well.

It doesn't sound like your symptoms are related to any kind of infection or inflammation. I would actually avoid using Cortisone cream because when it is used on chronic basis, it can cause permanent skin thinning.

I would try using cold patches on your eyes at the end of the day which will decrease swelling. You can also try an over-the-counter anti-allergy medication, such as Zyrtec or Claritin. Finally, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist for a full eye evaluation.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click the green 'Accept' button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,