A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am 56 year old female on vacation for the past two weeks.

Customer Question

I am 56 year old female on vacation for the past two weeks. I am having severe lower abdominal pains on the left side. I am using a .25 hormone patch.

I am having trouble standing and have had ok bm's.

I am not sure what it is but I still have to fly to Tampa tomorrow and Indy Friday.

I was hoping you could suggest something.

Thank you,

Nancy B. Smith
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Nancy,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear you are having such bad luck as to be sick on vacation. I'm concerned about any pain that makes it difficult for you to stand. Other than the intestine, there is little in that area but the left ovary. It's possible it is an ovarian cyst that is rupturing, but there is no way to tell for sure. Can you get to a walk-in clinic or ER?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it is a cyst and it bursts is there any negative ramifications? I don't see going to the er an opion as I have my two granddaughters with me.

It can be horribly painful. If there is infection, there is risk of peritonitis if antibiotics aren't given. There is also the possibility that the pain will get progressively worse on the plane regardless of what is causing it.