Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My top lip in the center swelled up tonight. There was no

My top lip in the center swelled up tonight. There was no itching, there was no pain. the middle of the lip swelled up like a bee sting and got hard. No other part of the lip swelled up. I took some loratadine just in case. This happened one time before about a month or so ago for the first time. I take have been taking Norvasc for more than 10 years and never had a reaction. I thought with angioedema both lips would swell. My dentist said there is a condition where sometimes this happens for no reason. Is he correct?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

There is a small chance that this can be an allergic reaction to some eatable (or due to any supplement if you are taking any). Otherwise it would be considered as an idiopathic reaction (means happening due to no ascertainable reason).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this something I should follow up with my family practicioner? Didn't eat anything unusual tonight: Pecan crusted sockeye salmon, aspargus, brown rice. Not allergic to nuts or to parsley or to salmon or pepsi. Not taking any supplements

A blood count and total and vacuolated eosinophil count can be done by your family doctor to look for any clues of the allergies. If these tests show something positive further allergy tests in the blood (in vitro testing for the allergies or skin tests) can be planned.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine