Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have recently been diagnosed with Oral Thrush. I believe

I have recently been diagnosed with Oral Thrush. I believe it came on due to too much sugar consumption. I started talking Nystatin yesterday. I gargle and swallow 5ml of it 4 times a day. Last night, I started to feel a tightness in my throat and a cough came on. Today, I coughed up a chunk of green phlegm. Is this the medicine working on the Oral Thrush? I haven't been sick with a cold or flu, but I seem to have the symptoms of getting over one.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 6 years ago.

Oral thrush is usually a white color and would not produce a green phlegm. Sounds like you might be in the early stages of a respiratory infection...possibly a cold. Coughing up green phlegm could be from some sinus drainage that has drained down into your chest. I would not worry too much about it unless you start to develop new symptoms such as fever or shortness of breath. At that point, you can see your Dr for a chest xray and treatment if infection is found. The Thrush should be better (or resolved) within a few more days. It usually responds very well to Nystatin therapy.

Hope this helps!