Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I just gave blood at Blood Assurance. I have been giving for

Customer Question

I just gave blood at Blood Assurance. I have been giving for years, except this past year (because i went on a mission trip out of the country). When they tested my iron content it tested HHH (very high). My blood pressure tested 143/91 and my pulse was 57. I am a 52 year old male, 5'11"tall and currently weigh 200 lbs. I went ahead and did a "Double Red Blood cell" donation. This past 3 months I have lost 21 pounds due to dieting and execise 3 days a week at a gym (1 day - jogging on treadmill - currently 7 miles / 1 day on execise bike - currenly 1 hour/20 miles / 1 day on elipical machine - currently 30 minutes). I do not smoke, drink alcohol or take drugs. My only current medication is: Bystolic (5mg - 1 a day) for periodic episodes of rapid heart rates while sleeping. I take one vitamin a day (Centrum-Silver - no iron listed on lable). Question: Could my high iron content be due to anything other than eating red meat? If not, how much red meat in my diet is OK?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 6 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. I hope you understand. First of all, just to clarify---did they check your hemoglobin and hematocrit or was it specifically your iron? Usually, a hemoglobin and/or hematocrit is checked when people are donating blood, but this does not mean that checking iron is out of the question. I just want to clarify. Also, do you know the exact result? Do you have any history of this type of problem in the past? Any respiratory disorders that you may not have mentioned? Do you live in a high altitude area? Any history of liver problems or past alcohol use (you mention that you do not drink now)? Any family members with a history of similar problem? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The paper they gave me only says: Hgb (Hemoglobin): H.H.H.

In the past when giving blood, on a few occassions, they said my Hgb was borderline high and told me it was nothing to worry about. Today, they seemed to focus on it alot.

I do not have any respiratory disorders.

I live in Chattanooga, TN (not a high altitude area).

I do not have a history of liver problems.

I consumed alcohol in college (weekend social drinking at frat house), but have not drank since I graduated (1982).

No family members with similar problems.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No answer after 1 hour?????