CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

A few days ago I brushed my tongue and used listerine when

A few days ago I brushed my tongue and used listerine when I was done. The next day I noticed a dry spot on my tongue and ever since it's felt like my mouth is dry. I went to the dentist and they gave me an oral cancer treatment but it was negative. Could I have damaged my taste buds and if so will they grow back?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. You could have cause an abrasion. Taste buds are constantly being replaced, so this should return to normal soon. Avoid anything that might irritate the area including citrus, potato chips etc..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What do you mean by abrasion, there is nothing different on my tongue, would I be able to see it?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
when you brushed your tongue you may have irritated the area..some times an irritation can lead to an abrasion, which may scrap off taste buds..but it is reversable and will return to normal.