Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

slurred speech with taking and stopping wellbutrin. how long

slurred speech with taking and stopping wellbutrin. how long will it last .. is it common I have no other problems .. just can't talk without sounding drunk.. the dose was 300mg

Thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.

Is your doctor aware that this happened?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it came on kind of gradually, and just kept getting worse, so i quit taking the wellbutrin
It is very important that you be seen today. IT is possible that you have had or may still be having bleeding in the brain (stroke), from the description you have given. Do you have someone to take you, If not you should call 911? Rarely Wellbutrin can increase blood pressure and allow for seizures to occur, so there could be another neurological problem, but this must be evaluated now.
If I misunderstood your symptoms, feel free to write back (to this post) and clarify or discuss this further.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not think this is a stroke .. was having problems at christmas and went to emergrency room and dr said no signs of a stroke.. It has been happening on and off for months.. one minute i can talk fine and then next slow.. would i not have other problems if it was a stoke? I can talk fine and then I get slurred speech, but it doesn't last.

So sorry for the delay.

You do not have to have other symptoms, but usually if this were a stroke it would not be in the same location each time, but this is very unusual, not normal, and it could be a form of a seizure. Wellbutrin is associated with lowering the seizure threshold, in some people and in combination with some medications.

It is best that you stopped the medication, But it is still important that you be evaluated soon. Recommendations would be to notify your doctor that you stopped the medication. Inform him of the continued issues that caused you to stop the medication. The doctor may want to prescribe you another medication or at least monitor you since you have stopped the Wellbutrin.

If I were you, I would want request a neurological referral as well, for these symptoms, especially if they continue. Make sure you have your blood pressure checked and that it is in normal limits.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my voice has not returned to normal.. it lasted about 20 minutes and then went away.. How long do you think it will take for the welbutrin to be completely out of my system? I have been off the medication for 4 days. thanks
Which form of Wellbutrin, XL, SR, etc. and what dose were you taking? This makes a difference in regards XXXXX XXXXX long it remains in your system, although it should be if not completely, almost completely gone.

Edited by Susan Ivy on 3/30/2010 at 9:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
wellbutrin sr
It can take up to 8 days for it to completely be removed from you system, this is because the liver processes the drug at different rates in different people. Drinking alcohol can also effect significantly the metabolism of Wellbutrin (increases the metabolism in most cases - unless there is liver damage) and it is in fact not recommended to drink alcohol when taking Wellbutrin, by the way, as this lowers the threshold.