Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I get a feeling of cold wet patch on my knee or around it,

I get a feeling of cold wet patch on my knee or around it, im 25 years old and ive had this symptom for over a week. It went away on friday but is now back again, i have no pain with it but its just incomfortable.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

Are you diabetic?

Are you on any medications or supplements?

Do you have any back problem?

Any significant past medical or surgical illness?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr Arun,

Thankyou for your reply. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes. No back problems and no medication or supplements.

I suffered with SVT around 6 years ago.

You are very welcome.

This cold patch feeling is termed as paresthesia, which means abnormal sensation. This can be due to;

1) Pinched nerves in the back; an MRI of the lower back and nerve conduction velocity study (NCV) can be helpful, if this sensation persists or does not resolve or recurs.

2) Deficiency of vitamin B12; an estimation of vitamin B12 in the blood can help in the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again,

Could this be caused by sitting in a chair all day? I work in IT and i do not get up as often as i should. The chair i am using is very hard.

I also have noticed a weird deep aching of my leg today with times of a flutter/throbbing feeling.

You are most welcome.

Yes. This can be definitely associated with the prolonged sitting. Following back care would help you;

a) Avoid activities which increase the symptoms.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till symptoms subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor

If overweight reduce the weight.

You can start the following exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed / couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one sets of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D

You can consult following specialists (apart from your GP);

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.

You are most welcome.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun