Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

My husband has sweats a lot at night practically soaking the

My husband has sweats a lot at night practically soaking the sheets. This happens regardless of the temp in the house and how many blankets he has on. The thing is, the sweat has a very sweet/vinegary smell to it. His sweat doesn't smell like this during the day, only at night. Should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Hello, can you confirm his age is 30?

Does he have any medical problems?

Does he take any medication?

Has he had any weight loss?

Does he drink alcohol...if so, how much?

How long has this been a problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, he is 30 (he will be 31 this year)

No medical problems that we know of.

He takes OTC ibuprofin on a somewhat regular basis for headaches etc.

He has not had any weight loss and in fact has gained about 20lbs in the past two years

He does drink alcohol fairly regularly. Although he has attempted to quit in the past, I would say he has at least 10-18 drinks during the course of a weekend. He used to drink a lot during the week too, but has stopped that within the last year.
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information

Does the sweating happen every night of the week?

Does he get any swelling of the ankles?

Roughly can you tell me his height and weight?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would say the sweating happens the majority of the nights. There are one or two where I either haven't noticed it or it hasn't happened.

He hasn't noticed any swelling of the ankles that he's mentioned. He does have problems with ingrown toenails, but thats about it for his feet

He's about 6 foot 3 inches and 220 lbs
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

The first thing is that he should not be taking regular ibuprofen with out talking to his doctor as it can have an impact on his kidneys. The other thing is that recurrent headaches may have a number of different causes and need to be investigated. However in a young man then there are two common causes : tension headache through stress at work or headache due to dehydration. If he is sweating then he is losing fluid and so he needs to drink extra to replace the fluid he has lost.

Night sweats have many causes too and in an older man then we would be concerned about significant diseases such as malignancy, TB or diabetes. With the history that you mention then my feeling is that the sweats are due to the alcohol. He is drinking a lot of alcohol over the weekend and the body needs to process the toxins from that. The liver is the main organ for handling toxins, however many people are unaware that the skin is an organ which is also involved in handling and excreting toxins.

I would recommend that he cuts the alcohol down to 3 or 4 units per night maximum, so that would be 12 over the weekend, bear in mind that a single drink may have more than one unit of alcohol. I would also recommend that he sees his doctor to have some simple checks such as blood pressure, urine checked for glucose and blood tests for urea, electrolytes and liver function tests.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.