Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

hi i am having burping, bitter taste in mouth and burning

hi
i am having burping, bitter taste in mouth and burning tongue since 5 weeks. doctor gave me aciphex for 2 weeks but due to side effects we had to stop it. i am taking tums, zantac but i dont know why its not working.
ultrasound of abdomen is normal.
endoscopy was done and doctor said its gastritis. biopsy results will be in 2 weeks.
i dont understand that if its just gastritis why doesnt zantac help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

When you were on the aciphex, did it help your symptoms?
What were your side effects?
How long have you been on the zantac? At what dose?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
5 weeks ago i was on aciphex. the heart burn went away but i got severe constipation and lots of burping as side effects.
i am on zantac for about 1 week. i take 150 mg bid
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you.

The PPI's (aciphex type medications) have definitely been shown to be more effective than the H2 blockers (zantac type medications) in patients that have inflammation of the esophagus (reflux esophagitis) and moderate to severe GERD.

In your case, you may simply also be someone who responds much better to PPI type medications too. All of the PPI medications have constipation as a side effect, although prevacid lists a 1% (versus a 2% incidence with the aciphex). You may want to consider trying prevacid instead.

Another issue for you may be that you have H. pylori, the bacteria that can lead to gastritis. You will find this out when you get your biopsy back. Treatment for this involves triple therapy (two antibiotics plus PPI treatment).

Lastly, if you do not want to try the prevacid, you could try switching to pepcid, which is in the same class as zantac. It may not make any difference but it is worth a try if you are not getting any relief from the zantac.

Make sure you are making the lifestyle/dietary changes as well:
Avoid chocolate/peppermint/fatty foods, caffeine.
Elevate the head of the bed at night.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States