Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist

I have a throbbing pain on my right side at my waist just below

I have a throbbing pain on my right side at my waist just below my ribcage. The throbbing comes and goes and last about a hour or so.

Back in October I was diagnosed as having a very small gall stone, which I decided not to remove due to lack of insurance (I'm a fulltime graduate student) and size of the stone. I have had about three small attacks since then, but the last one was in December. Could this be related to the pain on my right side? Perhaps the overworking the liver? Thanks for any insight.

The location of your pain and a previous history of gall stones goes in favor of a gall stone related pain.

You need to see a doctor and have an Ultrasound to look for an increase in size / number and if the stone is impacting the bile duct that can cause this pain.

Appropriate pain medicines / removal of the gall bladder would be advised depending on results of the ultrasound.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply Dr. Joshi.

The pain is not in the same place as it was when I had my gall stone attack. The pain is far from being the same as my attacks. It's throbbing, not cramping. Also, the pain is more toward the right between my hip and the bottom of my rib cage (located at the curve of my waist). With this new information, do you thoughts still remain the same?

Yes, with a proved gall bladder stone, my thoughts still remain the same.

Although, I would advise an Abdominal Ultrasound to look for other causes like a Kidney Infection / Kidney or Ureteric Stone.